Thursday, September 15, 2011

Vegetarian Convenience Meals II - Attack of the Tacos

I like easy food, like tacos. Not hard to make, easy to eat, and requires minimal silverwear to be packed. This week I'm sharing two new awesome vegetarian taco fillings that I've stumbled upon. I've tried these both on just plain tortillas, homemade tortillas, and plain tortillas slightly grilled to give them crunch. All are great and have different levels of work, as you need to allot your time.

The first is the easiest. I'm not typically a fan of red bell pepper and raw onion, but this was so good I didn't even notice it. The flavor is zippy and delicious.


Image from Rachel Ray Magazine Online

Corn Relish Tacos - Modifed from Everyday with Rachel Ray
1 can whole corn kernels, or two cups fresh corn kernels.
1/2 onion, diced fine.
1/4 red bell pepper, diced fine (more if you actually like the flavor)
1/2tsp oregano
Salt and pepper to taste.
Shredded cheese
Tortillas

Combine all ingredients and let sit overnight. Scoop filling onto tortillas and sprinkle lightly with cheese. So delicious, warmed or cold.

Next up is a delicious experiment of my own. I was given a container of storebought coleslaw after a picnic in exchange for some of my zuchinni bread. I decided to use it to make a riff on my old favorite fish tacos from Rubio's, which feature cabbage prominently.
Bean and Coleslaw Tacos
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 clove garlic, chopped fine, or garlic powder
1/4 onion, chopped.
Spices, to taste. I used oregano, salt, and pepper.
1 container premade coleslaw, or homemade if that's what you have.
Shredded cheese
Tortillas

Cook onion in water until translucent or carmelized, whatever you like better. Add garlic and beans, stirring until heated through. Mash some of the beans with the back of your spoon if you want a creamier texture. Add spices and cook until the mixture bubbles.

Place bean mixture on tortillas and add coleslaw and cheese. You can also toss in salsa if you want more zing. However, by itself you have a creamy, satisfying filling that leaves you stuffed and satisfied after two. I tried to get a picture of these, but I ate them all before I though to get my camera. I'll make them again and try for more.

Happy vegetarian lunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment